Friday, January 05, 2007

It's not a Lemon, it's a Pickle

Rascal loves cars. It's all he thinks about, the only game he'll play. He lines them up end to end and if you mess with his road, you need to head for cover.

I put out some pickles for supper a few nights ago. Rascal looked at them for a long time.

"Carcar?" He stuck one in his mouth. "No carcar."

Oh well, what's a boy to do? He grabbed it in his fat little hand and trotted back to his road.

Later as I was washing dishes, he came in with tears in his eyes yelling about his carcar. He only has about 700 carcars, so I sifted through the whole box. None that I produced satisfied him.

Eventually Husband looked up from his Blackberry, wondering what all the commotion was about. He looked beside the couch and found Rascal's huge Tonka 4X4.

"Carcar!" Rascal shrieked. He ran over, yanked the truck away and dug in the driver's seat. He held the pickle aloft.

"Carcar, carcar, carcar, CARCAR!"

Okee dokee. So now everything could be a carcar I suppose.

The next day he was still driving the pickle, now covered in a fine layer of carpet lint and other unsavory items. Since then I have seen him drive Goldfish (the snack), pens, and a "Littlest Pet Shop" toy Tweenie got in a Happy Meal.

Kids are weird... but in a good way!

4 comments:

Henny said...

That's hilarious, Claire! You have such a funny little buddy-boy! The next pickle I take out of the jar will be raised up high and joyfully renamed, 'Carcar!'

degsies said...

boys are boys. we may not have 700 - yet - but uncle daedae is workin on it! and pickles are more likely to be driven than eaten in our house too. i love it!

degsies said...

this comment is from Taunte - doing the oma thing in saskatoon...

claire - i love your stories. they bring us right into the mayhem of the moment, and in such a way that we're happy to be there. i guess we get the sanitized experience - no smells come through.

on another note, i read your profile and see that "the red tent" is on your list of favourite books. i read it awhile ago and it made me go "hmmm.". what did you like about it?

Claire said...

I read it a long time ago, I'm not sure why I put it down as a favorite. I think it was because something was stirred up in me to make me remember it for a long time afterward.

I have a thing for feminist lit. Not over-the-top stuff, but I love Margaret Atwood, and I did a paper in University on Sylvia Plath. I liked the way the author of "Red Tent" addressed the roles and relationships of women in a heavily patriarchal society.

The Bible gives only the briefest of details about these women, yet men were willing to risk everything to have them. There's a story there. All we get to hear about the wives in Genesis are:

Sarah - a disbelieving, conniving and jealous woman who sent a rival and her baby into the desert to die;

Rebekah - a favorite-playing deceptive-minded wife;

Rachel - an idol-harboring, point-counting woman who husband's devotion to her is apparantly not enough to let her release her ill feelings toward her sister-wives.

Dinah - a teeny footnote in her father's/brothers' lives whose only purpose is to explain inter-tribal relations perhaps. Why would that prince offer to marry her if all there was between them was an act of violence? Doesn't compute.

C'mon, these women had more going on than that. That's why I liked the book. Sure it took some big liberties with the story, but I have often wondered what kind of patsies the patriarchs were to allow such things to go on in their lives, so there is more to it than Genesis lets on.

It's just all fiction, though, and so for me it was little more than a good beach read.