Saturday, October 27, 2007

Portrait of a yummy Mama

"It's a bird!"

"No! It's a plane!"

"Hey, it's my neighbor!"

I guess my furtive dash toward the sliding automatic door at - shhh - Walmart did not go unnoticed. There's a teensy possibility the reason was I had all three kids plus Tweenie's BFF in tow. And I was hollering at all four to settle down and walk nicely across the tarmac-length parking lot.

Normally I am not a Walmart shopper, but Halloween is mere days away and I procrastinated. I had some vague idea that maybe the kids would want to dress up using old bedsheets or maybe my prom dress from 1993, and deluded myself by thinking I wouldn't have to brave the pushy crowds jostling between the checkouts, (Clearance!) seasonal merchandise, and McDonald's.

Being that I was out in public, I was in uniform - Mama style. The first (and most important) component are my grandpa shoes.

Actually, they're from Joseph Seibel and if I could sleep in them, I so would. Even Husband knows they don't conform to standard female guidelines regarding appropriate footwear and begged me to go shoe shopping. Begged. I returned with some sweet Brooks cross-trainers. Don't think me fashion-backward; I just know I need the comfort and support of quality footwear when I'm running across the parking lot after Rascal and Kye screeching like a harridan.

The second component of my ensemble are my pre-Rascal jeans with a with a 28" waist and 32" inseam. I may have to shoehorn myself in, but jeez they make my butt look good.


Not so much feelin' the wrinklies on the thigh, but I refuse to go up a size. Categorically refuse, because those last pesky 5 pounds are coming off any day now ... after the holidays (and by that I mean next Easter). Also for some reason, the leg seems a bit too long now. Have I shrunk? Does carrying around two toddlers compress my legs as well as my spine?

But I digress, since the important thing is that I caught a few glances while I picked through the last of the costumes. And once you've had 3 kids and are over 30, getting the odd once-over is really nice.

Add to all this my deliberately tousled, highlighted mane (ok, so I didn't have time to style and just fluffed it upside-down in the car before getting out) and my edgy makeup (again, a rushed job) - I was hawt!

And being a yummy mommy is hot.

4 comments:

degsies said...

couldn't have said it better myself, my hot sexy-momma-of-three self, squishing into an old-but-flattering pair of jeans (why don't they make that same style again? they're gonna rip one of these days from wear), and throwing on chasing shoes...we are our own breed of fashionista!!!

Ali said...

Very cute. Love the Grampa shoes...

Make-up Junkie said...

3 kids and still able to squeeze into your pre-prego jeans?? now that's an accomplishment! I can squeeze into mine but actually walking in them is another story! you give me inspiration hehe

Anonymous said...

ha!!

i think the jeans getting longer thing is definitely from carrying toddlers. i've noticed it too - it's that when you have a kid on your hip all the time, the jeans get smushed lower until they forget where they should go. I think!

love the grandpa shoes!