Saturday, January 20, 2007

I hate it when she's right!

Tantie the childless. Tantie the insightful. Tantie the smartass.

I called her a few days ago because I was at the end of my rope. Rascal was getting on my last nerve and I needed to hear someone feel bad for me. Husband listens but does not respond - I guess he learned his lesson a while back...

Tantie has a special bond with Rascal because they are both the 'middle child'. She claims she understands him.

So although I did get some ego-soothing platitudes about my fantabulous parenting skills, she also had some words of wisdom. I didn't expect advise on this topic from her but it appears she has some insight.

So her solution was basically to use huge amounts of positive reinforcement and to absolutely not acknowledge bad behavior, other than a single stern "No!"

"Be a robot. Don't let him see that he's got your number. He thinks it's funny when you're mad."

I didn't believe this at first, but last time I was on the verge of losing it, I caught my reflection in the mirror. My face was beet red except for some white splotchies around my mouth that was wrenched into a scowl, my hair was wild and woolly, and I am pretty sure there was smoke wisping out of my ears.

Ok, ok, so I did look pretty funny. Rascal didn't laugh, probably because he learned along with Husband that a poker face gets you into a lot less trouble.

I tried this method for a few days and I think there was some limited success. Ever looking to gain an edge, Rascal found a way to crack my armor. I called Tantie in a panic.

"I'm a robot! I'M A ROBOT!" I shrieked. "But it's not working!"

Calmly she replied, "What did he do now?"

"He whipped off his diaper that was loaded with %&*@ and is rolling around on my bed, smearing it all over the sheets!"

My knuckles were white, my eyes squeezed shut as I clenched the phone to my head, waiting for the pearls of wisdom to come. I waited... and waited.

Finally a response: "Oh!"

What, that's all? I could hear laughy breaths on the line. She was trying her darndest to hold it in. Eventually she got herself back together and proceeded to do some damage control.

"I know what you're thinking," I accused. "Better you than me, right?"

A pause, and then "uh, listen, hate to do this to ya but Y&R is on..."

____________

Lest anyone should think that Tantie is anything other than a wonderful aunt and incredibly supportive sister, let me assure you that she has been an anchor, sounding board, and cheer squad for me. I only tell this story because it's freakin' hilarious... well, it is now anyway.

5 comments:

Ali said...

Wow, Tauntie sounds really, really wise. How fortunate you are to have a sister like her!

I'm sure the end part about Y&R was purely fictitious...

Andrew said...

Claire, i've been telling you for years that your anger is hilarious to behold. Heck, I wasn't the first one. You've been hearing this your whole life! C: "I'm inSULted"; D: "good thing you aren't impepered too".

degsies said...

ok wise tauntie, you learned your wisdom from your wise mommy who had to use it on you!! anyways, our parenting class (yes, me supermom, needed a parenting class) taught us exactly that - ignore unwanted behaviors, unless dangerous, distract to something better, and heap the praise on positive behaviors. sounds simple, but when a mom is in the middle of red-faced, shrieking, smoke-pouring anger, it's hard to remember to be positive and simply distract the little clones and praise them for it.

Claire said...

Hyuk hyuk hyuk, so sue me. that joke wasn't funny even at the time! ;)

Degsies and I are on the same page here. You two just wait... then D and I will laugh and laugh and laugh!

Henny said...

Way to go Tauntie! I guess you were shaking with laughter, sos you couldn't speak...funny how you can see the humor right away.