Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Being parented

"I am your mother, that's why!"

This is my standard reply when challenged, especially when the real reason I want my kids to comply is because I don't have a good reason. Ever heard of "just because"? 'Course you can't say that to the shrimps, they can see right through that one.

Sometimes what you say or do comes right back to bite you in the arse. This morning Tweenie missed her bus, so we had an extra 5 or 10 minutes to get ready before I had to drive her to school. I was actually pretty thrilled to not have to run around the house nagging and prodding her to get ready. I must have been acting a little out of character...

"Mom, why aren't you busting my butt to get ready? Don't you know that we're going to be late if you don't?"

"If you already know that we have to hurry, then just do it already!"

"C'mon, mom, do I have to do everything around here? Let's move it, missie!"

So she busted my butt all the way into the van and proceeded to back-seat drive all the way to school. Where DO they learn this stuff?

*****
Epilogue
Rascal is learning this important skill too. Yesterday I was taking too long with Baby and not getting around to his PB&J sandwich.

"What DOING? No dat! Come! NOW!"

Then the funniest part of all...

He started, "One... two..."

That got me hopping.

No comments: