Tuesday, November 07, 2006

10 Things I Love About You

Lest y'all believe that my life races along purely in a state of chaos, there are those little moments that make it all worthwhile. Sometimes all it is, is a funny moment in the middle of a trying one.

1. I am still nursing Baby. He is a very hungry boy and can get a little frantic while waiting for me to get into position. Once my nursing bra is in sight, he usually grabs it with both hands, opens his mouth really wide, screws his face into a look of absolute determination, and goes in for the kill. He won't relax his grip until he's nearing the end.

2. Once the nursing session is in full swing (the other lactating mothers know what I mean here, but I won't elaborate for others who may become squeamish), he gulps and gulps and gulps, rolling his eyes back in his head in true Homer Simpson fashion ("ohhh, donuts"). My brother-in-law used to tease Tweenie when she'd do the eye thing, but now I have the last laugh, as they just had their first child a few weeks ago (mwa ha ha ha!).

3. Rascal's come up with a new way to tell me he's got a stinkie in the diaper. He spreads his arms out like an airplane and zooms around the house, buzzing and yelling "POOP POOP!!" He also announces when others have released spies (silent but deadly) and are trying to pretend they didn't by yelling "POOP!! YUCKY!!" You can't get away with anything in this house.

4. Husband works a lot. There's little he can do about this, so I don't waste my time being angry with him since it wouldn't change anything. But since we've recently relocated far from family and friends, he is my only source of face-to-face adult conversation. So when he provides a little comic relief, I get a week's worth of laughs about it.

Last Saturday Tweenie played her last soccer game of the season. During the game the ball was kicked in our direction and nearly hit Rascal in the head. Husband went after the ball, and in doing so tripped over it. From my vantage point I saw the head go down and the heels come up. I erupted with laughter and am still giggling about it right now. Husband is not impressed. Hey, I don't get out much, ok?

My only regret is that I had turned off the video camera just minutes before, or I would have caught the whole thing on tape...

5. When Rascal does naughty things, he immediately tries apologies and kisses to get out of trouble. It doesn't always work, but it does make me melt. If only he were sincere...

6. Baby loves me best. Sometimes I hand him off to Husband so I can do other stuff, but he starts to howl. Eventually I go to pick him up, and when I do he shoots a triumphant look at Husband and clutches me for dear life. Needless to say, I get very little done most days.

7. Tweenie had a sleepover with BFF the other night (as they do most weekends). She called me at 10:30 just to tell me that she didn't miss me. I allowed the illusion and smiled all the way to bed.

8. Tweenie is at an age where I've decided she should have a few chores. She hates chores. A few days ago I asked her to set the table. When I re-entered the dining room, she had laid out my best china on my best tablecloth, with napkins, the real silverware, and wine glasses. For herself and Rascal she put out the shot glasses. I thought that was really cute!

9. Rascal pretends to be a dinosaur for at least 80% of his day. He roars and stomps around the house, scaring Baby and annoying Tweenie. When I, however, try to be a dinosaur it ticks him off. He gets offended and sits down, sulking. I think this is incredibly funny!

10. My kids' favorite game is to make a mama sandwich. The two older ones climb on top of my back and Baby is carefully clutched against my chest. Then we roll around on the floor, squishing everyone except for baby and the squealing is deafening. We all love this game except for Husband.

****
I was recently out grocery shopping with all 3 kids plus BFF in tow. An older gent stopped me and said, "Good Lawd, missy, is all them kiddies yoahs?" I happily corrected him, but he still walked away shaking his head. I wonder why?

3 comments:

Ali Kat said...

I'm really enjoying the blog, sis! It's nice to have an "in" into your life. Andrew says you're a good writer. Say hi to the kids (and Husband too, I guess)!

Ali said...

Oh, that's so so cute!

I used to be give hugs and kisses when I was bad too to try to get out of a punishment too. It never worked.

Anonymous said...

I read your blogs, and I think they're great, and I love your sense of humour. Keep it up.