Friday, March 28, 2008

Girly Geek meets Girly Chic

"Mom, what travels farther? If you throw a ball really high in the air, or if you go more slanty?"

"Well..." I began to gush excitedly. I was one of the only kids my age who actually enjoyed high school physics. I started waving my arms around wildly, explaining about vectors and gravity. Tweenie followed along, interested for the moment (remember, she's my genius child).

"...and so, the ball stays in the air only as long as it takes for gravity to bring it back down again, but travels at an equal rate in a forward direction until it hits the ground!" I finished with a flourish.

"But what if you threw it off the cliff?"

"I'm glad you asked!" I ran for a sketchbook, tingling with excitement at this learning opportunity.

She must have figured out where this was going, because--

"Um, can we go to Target now? I need new Sunday shoes and my lip gloss ran out."

"But we're not finished here..." I whined.

"Yah, but I'd rather go shopping now."

Hmm. Just the two of us in the van for 20 minutes? That'll work.

1 comment:

Arianne said...

Aww that's really cute. It's a start -- even though for now, it looks like shopping trumps Physics. :)