Monday, March 24, 2008

Another Family Holiday Survived

What luck for me that Spring Break falls right after Easter this year! I'm being ironic.

Whereas I might have had a half-day of alone time to clean up the blotches of chocolate ground into the carpet and such while the kiddies were off at (pre)school, instead I find myself running around changing junk food-charged nappies that would otherwise have fallen to Kye's wonderful teachers and trying to amuse a bored Tweenie who can't seem to connect with any friends for a quick playdate today. Rascal is the only one who remains more or less at status quo, which is to say that yesterday's chocolate rush did not affect him like the others since he has a naturally high temperament.

I'm exhausted. Kye won't take a nap but I think I might have to. Just lock the door and let them deal with each other, I'm thinking.

This weekend was filled with one Easter Egg hunt after another, and at our house it could hardly be different. The only exception is that I'm a serious chocolate snob and won't spring for Tootsie Rolls or Dollar Store chocolate bunnies. Also, if I'm going to snag the odd treat, it may as well be Ferrero Rocher or Lindt truffles, y'know?

Another project I undertook was to make my grandmother's Paska recipe. This Ukrainian Easter staple is a wonderful sweet bread that you slather with icing and eat with homemade jam. It was my first try and I must say I did my Oma proud.

It only took 5 hours with rising time and it was a challenge convincing the kids they shouldn't help with the kneading...

...but here's the finished product! I was so proud of myself I cut some up and handed it out to our neighbors. That seems to be another trait of my cultural heritage sneaking through: the fobbing-off of baked goods to friends (in lieu of gifts? Yeah, we do tend toward cheapskate-ness also) whether they want it or not.

At the end of the day, we confiscate the goodies to the least accessible place in the house. Also up on that shelf: the BBQ lighter, Jolly Jumper (don't ask), and a Fruit Snack maker from Christmas. The Jack 'o Lantern bucket is not up there from Halloween; within 2 hours of buying 3 Easter buckets, one was lost. Sadly, this is not atypical.

2 comments:

Henny said...

That paska looks wonderful, I would add its a much nicer gift than something bought and requires a lot more effort. Way to go!

degsies said...

i didn't make paska this year, not sure about last, but i have a few times. always so satisfying!! way to go!

and i hear you about easter break - we have two - a feb break, and an easter one, that happened to follow only a few weeks later. how annoying!!!