Friday, February 01, 2008

Gettin' my geek on

So I decided that my blog with its cookie-cutter Blogger template just isn't real sexy. I'm gonna try something.

Something.... something awesome. Something... insane.

Having learned how to speak German as an adult has empowered me. I figure, how hard can HTML really be? If anything, I am more worried about how to come up with compelling illustrations that encompass my blog's feel than how to code it.

This is my inner (and let's face it - dominant) geekish tendency that is also a die-hard optimist. How could this fail? It has the wonderful marriage of ultimate control over creative efforts and budgetary concerns. The latter which, if you haven't noticed, is pretty influential seeing as how my ship is still somewhere way beyond the horizon and who knows when or if it'll actually arrive at my dock.

It should be interesting. After all, it took me six months to figure how to go from a 2-column template to 3. Anyway, I only needed about 3-6 months to learn German (ok, so I was living there and it was a crash-course immersion thing, but still...) so I figure a techy language written in English can't be that difficult. Right??

I also think of this as yet another attempt to stave off the increasingly persistent ravages of mommy-brain on my Self. I had a dream last night about comparative shopping for car snacks. I read labels in this dream. I knew I was in trouble. However, the idea of starting up with a new foreign language seems too intimidating for me at this stage, so we'll go with HTML and see where it takes me.

I'd like to apologize in advance for any weirdness you may encounter over the next few weeks when you stop by. I have a dummy blog to test with until I have a finished product, but you just never know.

Why did I think to mention all of this to you on a Friday night when I should be doing something more valuable with my time (like watching Ghost Whisperer perhaps?)? Maybe it's because I just finished the final touches on Tweenie's room (I'll post a pic soon, when I'm done with the beanbag chair) last weekend and am still riding out the after-effects of paint fumes. Good thing that like the tree-hugger control freak I am, I chose VOC-free paints. But still....

...feeling the effects.

1 comment:

Arianne said...

Aww mamaluv, I just went through a blog layout makeover as well. It's ridiculously overwhelming to look at the code. Mind you, I'm a computer science major.

After about 5 days of working on it I just found a template I liked, and tweaked it to my liking. I'm pleased but I'll be making one from scratch in the future.

Good luck!