Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Laughing at myself for once (NOT!)

I dropped off the face of the blogosphere last week.

Where was I? That's a great question.

The short answer is - I was getting high in my daughter's roommmmmmmmmm ... still am a little bit, I fear.

What? You're still here? Your mommy radar is going ca-razy at the thought? Fine, you want the long story.

We're redecorating Tweenie's room. It started off looking like this; a boy's dream room papered in balls and pennants, offset by rich blues and maroons.

Tweenie has in mind something a little bit more girl-friendly. Like Tinkerbell designs on pink, lime, and lilac with posters of fluffy kittens and ballerinas. So you understand why the two are not entirely compatible.

The weekend was spent stripping and scrubbing the walls. We had to use chemicals to get it off because the overzealous previous owners did a really really good job of putting it up. I almost felt guilty undoing all their work. Then came patching and taping, followed by several coats of primer ... which is where we're at right now.

I have an environmental health degree, which in conjunction with my natural hypochondriac tendencies has made me a little loopy. I bought VOC-free pastel paints for the finish, but the primer only came in Chernobyl white.

I'm a little happy right now. Sha-winggggggggg!

The cool part is, I can blame recent mommy-brain moments on the chemicals. Like rushing to leave the house yesterday, then returning home to only then realize I didn't quite finish my makeup routine. A striking 'before-and-after' melange ... not attractive.

Or talking baby talk to Kye and Rascal in front of Husband. I usually try to keep this horrendous habit a secret; I know it's a big no-no, and Husband doesn't approve. But there's something about soft, squashy bellies (that aren't my own) that brings out the Elmo in me.

Or returning home from grocery shopping, realizing I forgot something I really need. Then returning to the store, coming back home ... and realizing another thing I forgot. At this point my eco-education guilts me into not making a third trip and we have a really interesting spaghetti dinner prepared with ketchup and pizza sauce.

I blame it ALL on the VOCs. Also, it's a lot funnier this way. In a few weeks when the fumes are undetectable, I'll have to own to my foibles as before--and that's not funny at all.

No comments: