Monday, January 14, 2008

Warning: Creativity requires Chaos

This is what the back seat of the van looked like when we got home. The trunk area was full with... other stuff. I take the Fifth Amendment on that one.

We've been remodeling Tweenie's room, as I've mentioned before. After 5 coats of primer and 3 of lilac and wild rose, I need only touch up the goobs of paint carelessly brushed against the stuccoed ceiling.

I was at this point 2 weeks ago already. Shouldn't I have finished by now? So you'd think.

Instead, Tweenie and I have already planned for the next project, which is a beanbag chair (except it will be stuffed with packing peanuts - I can't even find beans, go figure). We saw a gorgeous one at Rooms To Go Kids for $150, and of course I assumed I could make one for way less. So far, material costs are $75 and I haven't even started yet. This is also assuming I don't make mistakes and have to back for more material.

Wow, it's been an awfully long time since Home Ec in 9th grade.

Husband was quite annoyed when we burst through the door yesterday laden with huge bags of fabric and 8 cubic feet of styro peanuts.

"What are you thinking? Finish the painting first!"

I was affronted, since he has been reluctant at best to help with any of the renovation efforts. I searched around to find a place to store our materials. My closet has gotten quite full, I saw.

I shoved aside 3 poster frames plus wrapped posters and another gallon of paint (intended for artistic swirly things on Tweenie's walls). I huffed and puffed as I restacked the 2 Rubbermaid totes full of scrapbooking supplies and 4 years worth of photos. A half-finished summer top for Tweenie (that no longer fits, and I'm out of material), dumbbells and an exercise ball I bought last January in an inspired moment of fitness resolutions yet to be fulfilled, a Porsche model still in its box and shrinkwrapped (bought for Husband 10 years ago), plus a few other odds and ends that I totally plan to get finished one of these days.

Like I said, I have no idea why Husband was pulling such an attitude.

Back when we were dating, my borderline OCD tendencies demanded that I not even consider beginning something (even urgently required) until all outstanding projects were complete. He said I had a pole up my butt. Now I have obviously overcome this attitude - why isn't he pleased?

In the meantime, Tweenie shares Kye and Rascal's room. They have a fabulous time in there, goofing around when they should be sleeping. It makes for difficult school mornings for her, but glorious early hours for me - the boys are zonked out until at least 9 am. Maybe that's why I still procrastinate.

I love this positive reinforcement thing!

No comments: