Wednesday, February 20, 2008

A little Retail Therapy


Tweenie's BFF is an only child. As a result, we receive at least 4 or 5 phone calls a week for the sole purpose of gushing about this or that new toy. Tweenie is, as you can imagine, devastated each time.

She puts up a really good show. Some expected comments like "Oh cool!" or "I can hardly wait to see it!", then a speedy effort to get off the phone so she can have a good consoling cry in Mama's arms. She's been so good, understanding that a young family of 5 can't compete. And it's not like we don't spoil our kids either - we were just in Florida!

Still, as BFF's collection has now burst the confines of her bedroom and is rapidly filling the guest room plus every available corner of the living room and den, Tweenie's 8-year-old heart overwhelms her more mature mind. I too was a first-born child in a large family, with several wealthy friends. There was only so much vicarious suffering I could endure before the specters of my childhood demanded a response.

On the excuse of having to quickly stop by Linens 'n Things, we decided to pop into Target next door. Normally I would never do this on a Saturday, especially since I also had both boys with us, but it was convenient and I was in a rare mood to shop.

There were a few necessities to get out of the way first: some new pants for Rascal (I really should look for those clothes with the wear-out guarantee because we'd claim it at least once a month) and sneakers for Tweenie. That opened the floodgates.

In the changeroom...

Tweenie: "I really don't know what to pick! It all looks so fabulous on me!"
Mama: "Let's limit it to three things. You really don't need new stuff, this is just for fun."
Rascal: "Pink! Pink!"
T: "The blue one looks really sophisticated... What do you think?"
R: "PINKKKKK!"
M: "You're the one who'll be wearing it, so you decide."
R: "You take PINKKKK!"
M: "Shh, sweetie. Be a good boy and we'll get some snacks later."
Kye: "Food? Oh YUM!"
T: "BFF has one just like this, only in yellow."
R: "PINKKKK!"
K: "EAT!"
M: "Please pick quickly. The boys are getting restless."
R: "PINKKK!"
K: "FOOD!"
T: "I just look so great in all of it, I can hardly decide!"
M: "Executive decision--the pink bathing suit, red sundress, and tan pants."
T: "Maybe we could take one more quick check through the racks..."
M: "If you are happy with these choices, we're leaving. We can always come back."
T: "Yeah, like next week! BFF's sure to have a bunch of new toys by then!"

I have to admit, it served it's purpose. I'm just scared about this precedent I've set.

No comments: