Monday, April 09, 2007

Two all-purpose cleaners

I have tried most of the cleaning products available on a typical grocery store shelf. They all work well in their own specific ways. Surely, though, there must be a universal cleaner out there that can tackle the tough stains only a two-year-old can make.

One I've known about forever but am forbidden by Husband to use on our children. Yup, nothing quite works as well as mama spit. A good lick of the thumb, apply firm pressure to the offending spot on a body part and rub briskly. Handy, neverending supply, and economical to boot. Hey, the animals do it! Why is this so unnatural and gross? Of course it goes without saying that once your children are old enough to realize just what you're doing, that would be a good time to quit and start carrying WetOnes in your mamapurse.

The second one I must give props to my S.I.L. for clueing me in on - diaper wipes. They can get out any stain on any surface. Just don't use them on hardwood floors because the nice shea butter additive for tender tushies creates a beautifully slick sheen on your walking surface that doesn't dry or evaporate. You can have the pleasure of wiping out on your fanny over and over again until you get wise and whip out universal cleaner #1 to fix the job.

Just kidding! Well, mostly.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mamaluv,

The risk of using your spit as a cleaner is that in the act of doing this you are injesting whatever happens to be on your finger. If you have a squeaky clean house, and the mall, parking lot, your car, or where-ever you happen to be is also immaculately clean, then there is no problem. From what I have read in your blog it just doesn't sound that where you live is like that though. Stay healthy.

Claire said...

An excellent point, "anonymous". However, since I spend much of my day up to my elbows in poopy diapers, barfy laundry, and snotty kleenexes, I probably don't worry as much as I should about what's on my fingers.

I think a good rule of thumb is to wash your hands really often (which, of course, I do), and just hope my overtaxed immune system can keep up! Having said that, I actually rarely slobber my finger and slime-o my children's faces for the very reason you mentioned.

Thanks again for the reminder for us all, that personal hygiene is very important!

Henny said...

We Mamas try our best to keep things as clean as possible. Sometimes the only thing available is the old mamaspit.