Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Eating breakfast

For some reason, breakfast is the craziest meal of the day. Take for instance this morning.

I set out Cheerios and (grr) Cinnamon Toast Crunch, 2% and skim milk. Not too many choices or we'll be there all day. And yet....

We start off with a small helping of Cinnamon Toast Crunch for Rascal, no milk. Just the way he likes it. Kye receives a Tupperware bowl with a few Cheerios. I'm in the middle of slicing strawberries into my own bowl when I hear the beginnings of trouble. It sort of sounds like when a jumbo jet fires up its engines.

Quickly quickly chuck a few Cheerios into the mix - I had cleverly deduced his demand based on the covetous look he directed at Kye's bowl. This obviously required a rethink of his position, and he sat there for a moment deciding how to proceed.

Just as I returned to my own preparations, the siren started up again. What now??

"No touchy! NO TOUCHY!"

Oh oh oh right. Non-alike items cannot share space; I can't believe I made such a basic mistake - after all, Tweenie trained me on that one for years.

I set his bowl aside and haul him onto my lap. He immediately starts eating from my breakfast. I feel a little like Mama Bear watching Goldilocks trash everyone's stuff and then snarf down the best choice. He's really cramming it in, milk and watery strawberry juices trickle down his chin and onto his shirt. This is another huge problem.

I tug the shirt off as gently as haste permits and wipe him off with (of all things) the sleeve of my bathrobe. Luckily his eyes had only managed to fill with tears and the mouth stuffed with cereal was not able to multitask in a good cry. Whew, another crisis averted.

Once he crawls off my lap, I glance over at Kye who's been really quiet during this entire event. I can't believe I didn't take a picture of this, so here is the mental one:

A fistful of Cheerios in either hand
Rascal's bowl sitting on the tray of his highchair
Kye face first in the bowl eating and grunting.

3 comments:

Andrew said...

Mental picture is just as good as the real thing. At least Christian isn't picky about mixing cereals!

degsies said...

so glad someone else experiences craziness too!!

Henny said...

Precious!