Thursday, December 20, 2007

Looking Fab for the Holidays

All the mags are talking about the must-haves outfits for the season. Unfortunately, I have noticed a distinct slant in fashion tastes tending toward conformity and without a speck of imagination.

We'll set that all straight right now.

Husband and I put off setting up and decorating our Christmas tree as long as possible. It's crazy, I know - why would we delay putting out a tall object on a feeble-looking stand and decorate it with a variety of breakable objects and electric components? Somewhere between Tweenie's extravagant dancing to Barbie of Swan Lake and Rascal's Buzz Lightyear routine (sidekick Kye in tow, naturally), we wondered if we could possibly get away without decorating at all this year.

We were wrong. I suppose we should get used to that idea, since Tweenie is growing so fast. We'll hear all about that soon enough.

Last weekend the tree went up. 24 hours, 10 decorations, and 2 attempted electrocutions later, we stripped it down to the bare branches. I am really starting to warm up to this artificial tree thing. So much more convenient and less mess.

We found some sad-looking stockings to hang and put out the tree skirt my mother had lovingly quilted for us a few years ago. This was enough, no invitation necessary.

Rascal snatched down the stockings and pulled them over his pants (they fit like hip waders), then hung the tree skirt around his neck like a cape. "To 'finny and yond!" he shouted, as he vaulted himself off the coffee table in the general direction of the tree. Good thing we had removed the decorations, because that pathetic tree stand was no match for a 35-pound Space Ranger.


He wasn't hurt, just jumped right back up and started hollering for his Dark Bayder mask. I grabbed Kye just in time as he was about to duplicate Rascal's maneuver.

Remember this? I think Husband used it for kindling after this little episode.

I wish I had a picture the whole fabulous ensemble. All I have are the components, but I think you can see where this is going.

No comments: