Wednesday, December 06, 2006

A virtual virtuoso

I was catching up on some much-belated emailing today. Baby started to howl in his crib so I took him onto my lap and tried to type one-handed.

What a mistake! With his fat little hands, he raked up and down the keyboard like Mozart on his harpsichord, frantically punching out staccato lines of script and grunting with effort.

After a moment I realized there was a method to his madness. He kept hitting the same combinations of keys in repeating sequences, and not because he was positioned just so and leaning on places. He would actually bang in distinct areas of the keyboard one after the other.

Then he started fiddling with the 'Alt' key, opening new browser pages, reordering the icons on my desktop, Googling nonsensical words, and starting Excel. In an attempt to ensure he didn't reconfigure any of my defaults on the applications, I closed each program using the mouse. The little guy would just open it again... the same program.

I'm thinking, this dude's a freakin' genius at just under 7 months old. Today the World Wide Web, tomorrow stellar domination! I sat there dumbfounded for a few moments, trying to decide if any of his behavior could actually be deliberate.

Just as I was about to dial "Ripley's 'Believe It Or Not"', he picked up the keyboard and jammed the corner into his mouth. Within seconds that half of the board was completely covered in slobber.

He stopped, looked up at me, smiled, and then farted. In that moment of hilarity I could feel the drool seeping through my jeans.

A freakin' genius, I tell ya.

2 comments:

Ali Kat said...

Too funny. Another great read. THX!!

Ali said...

LOL!! This is hilarious!! And just because he proceeded to eat the keyboard doesn't make him any less of a genious. Besides with gene pool like his you should probably begin the IQ tests now.