Monday, June 25, 2007

What every little boy needs

Tonight we increased our four-legged population by 200%. A well-meaning neighbor found an abandoned mama hound-dawg with two puppies and set right to finding them all new homes.

And so we now have mama and little girl staying in an old dog run I had intended to make Husband tear down, which has of late been home to one bad@ss black snake Twit has been stealing offspring from all year.

Husband has been trying to sell me on the idea of a dog for years. I don't mind in principle, but the nearly instantaneous reassignment of Twit-related care that befell me (despite the most ardent of promises) has soured me on the entire pet conversation. When our neighbor showed up and little girl howled at me, I hesitated for the briefest of moments. This was Husband's cue.

Later, I ran down my list of demands:
1. The dogs are not permitted entry into my house.
2. I will not be collecting poo from various places in the yard.
3. I will not be the only person feeding and bathing them, nor will I take part in any tick removal.

Husband listened seriously to my finger-waggling diatribe and agreed to these and any future demands of mine. Still, I'm not holding my breath.

I do take some consolation, however, in the fact that tomorrow is Rascal's 3rd birthday. If there is anyone that can keep up with him, I think it will be this puppy.

My cousin, proud mommy to her own little handful, told me it would end this way. "Every little boy needs a puppy!" I guess I'd better go find a big red bow.


Edited to add pictures of Shasta (mama) and Lily (baby). We have since learned Shasta is a Bluetick Coonhound; Lily's coloring suggests her father may be a Rottweiler, but who knows?! Lily was being very rascally and wouldn't pose for a proper pic - sorry.

3 comments:

Ali Kat said...

I wanna see pics of the puppy! Pweeeeeeeease?!?

Henny said...

Yes, I want to see the puppy too!
They are so cute when small.
A lot of training and time will be required, but you could do it with Rascal in tow. There are lots of commonalities between puppies and little boys. Lots of laughs ahead.

degsies said...

puppy in the house cleans up all the eating/snack messes - what do mom's do without a puppy-vacuum?