Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Husband would not approve


Rascal is all boy. He loves Buzz Lightyear, Hot Wheels, playing in the muck, and playing cowboy...

during Twister...

with Tweenie, who is maybe 15 pounds heavier than he...

really, anything he can get away with. I even saw him once try to sit on Twit (actually, I'm pretty sure she deserved it).

So basically very stereotypically male. Well, mostly.

This morning after Tweenie left on the schoolbus, Rascal got up and wanted to watch a movie. He uses mainly nonverbal communication sprinkled with vague comments, so figuring out which one he wants can be hard sometimes.

Mama: "Which one, buddy?"

Rascal (pointing at the whole rack of movies): "Dis."

M: "You want Buzz? Woody?"

R: "No. Dis." (point)

M: "Nemo? Tarzan?"

R: "No. Dis." (point patiently)

M: "Shrek? Larry Boy?"

R: "No. Dis." He finally approaches the stack and selects one.

I look at it in disbelief. It's Disney Princesses - A Christmas of Enchantment.

"Are you sure, sweetie?"

"Yeth. Dat."

Ok, whatever makes him happy I suppose. He sat on the couch clutching Tweenie's pink fleece blanket featuring (who else) Aurora, Cinderella, and Belle. Tinkerbell whooshed onto the screen lighting up the Disney DVD logo. Rascal clapped happily.

I went into the kitchen to make my coffee. A few minutes later he trotted over, grasped my finger and instructed me to come with him. He led me back into the living room.

A bouncy tune sung by all the Princesses was playing. He wanted me to dance with him, which I did. His dancing mainly consists of pumping his knees, interrupted by an occasional twirl. When Ariel sang her solo, he began to shake his tush.

Someone's been watching mama dance.

5 comments:

Ali Kat said...

So very cute. It's nice to know rascal isn't ALL boy : )

Ali said...

that is the sweetest little story :)

Henny said...

I thought I had already responded to this one.I guess not. I well remember dancing with my buddy-boy to smashing pumpkin tunes. The dance was remarkably similar to you and Adam's duo.Up, down, up, down at the knees. Fun...and happy smiles...

degsies said...

someone opbviously misses big sister. good to know it happens - doesn't always seem like the affection will be there when its gonna count.

Anonymous said...

Uhm...time for a family intervention apparently.

The boy needs more manly, masculin type of things to watch. Speed is good. Could also rent him some 4x4 dvd's..I mean, you live in the south..someone has to have a good ol' boy wreckin a truck with his drunk buddies kind of video that we can use to re-imprint his mind.

Dancing with a princess is fine..dancing like a princess is altogether different and deserves immediate help.